Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oh la la Paris... Oh la la 3011 km!


Well that's two titles in one for this post.
The first is a big oh la la for Paris. I know is not like I'm going to write anything new here about Paris (enough said) but MY GOD! now that's a city! What really got me is how majestic it is, and yet with such an attention to detail. It feels like the city itself is trying to seduce you, and takes you by the hand and guides you almost floating through all of her glory and beauty, never letting you take an eye off the spectacle of her greatness.
A day in a half in Paris, a very casual re-encounter with a cool high school friend, an epic caramel ice cream, and I just want to go back to live more of that city.
Left on Wednesday heading North-east aiming to get to Brussels in a couple of days. Stopped in Saint-Quentin for a night and arrived to Le Bourse at 1530 yesterday after 143 km at 26,1 km/h average. The fastest ride of Le Tour so far, but is not like I'm getting stronger, not at all. That's what happens when the wind is sort of helping you, you ride fast and the ride is fun. So fun and such is the pace that I try to stop only when necessary, and try to combine snacks with gear changing and toilet stops, whereas riding against the wind any excuse is good for stopping.
My odometer shows 8835 km, 3011 km more than when left Genoa. And that's another oh la la! this time for myself. I'm proud of that. I can see myself riding back into Genoa now. Knowing how my body is and how I've been feeling in the last 3 weeks, I can understand better what I have to do in the next few days to complete Le Tour. Is not easy, at all. I'm tired, maybe a little fatigued. Every minute I ride I can feel the damage in my legs and body. I've had to take naps in the last couple of days just because I couldn't manage to keep going after lunch. Makes the riding day longer and gives me less time to disconnect, but I had to stopped, that bad it was.
The last 10 days since leaving the mountains, have been a mixed bag of emotions. Ambiguity is always wandering in my thoughts. I feel like the road and weather set the pace of my feelings. Never flat, the french countryside have been continuous up and down on windy hills. And with it, so goes fonzie, up and down in his moods, in his spirits, in his energies.
The more I ride, the more I'm tired, the more the wind blows, the more I want to keep going and finish the next hill, get to the next little village, the next boulangerie. The weaker the wind makes me feels, the more stubborn I want to be and the stronger I feel when accomplish every little goal I set throughout the day just to make things easier. The stronger I think I am, the more vulnerable I acknowledge myself to be. The more sensible to the weather and my body, the more indifferent I become, none of that really matters I just have to keep going.
Very ambiguous as I said, as an Ambulance company that organizes funeral services (photo). I can only imagine them saying "We're never late!!! but if we are, we got you covered!"
Approximately 1100 km and 9 days to go. I'm sitting here organizing the next days' routes and thinking of the waffle I'll have this afternoon here in Brussels...nice!

1 comment:

  1. alfonzo hoy en el dia de la tierra leo tu post y no sabes lo feliz que me hace... te admiro y no solo eso ya te lo he dicho me haces sentirme muy orgulloso de ti... un fuerte abrazo y sigue!!!

    ReplyDelete