Friday, April 30, 2010

A different place!

Almost there yet. But where!
Since I started sailing, I've always felt very attracted to solo-sailing. And so I've read a lot of books about it.
The first one I read was about the '96 Vendee Globe, and there I read about Bernard Moitessier. A french-vietnamese sailor who became very famous in 1968 when sailing alone around the world and competing for the Golden Globe Trophy for the first ever and faster circumnavigation alone and non-stop.
He had sailed pass Cape Horn and only needed to go North through the Atlantic to reach England and he would have won the prize for the fastest circumnavgation, and maybe the trophy for the first ever as he might have beaten Sir Robin Knox Johnston, the eventual winner. Instead, he turned east, and continued half way around the world again and finally set anchor at Tahiti, French Polynesia, where he lived most of his life.
He wrote, that in keep going north and winning the award, his trip would be bruised or stained by the pursuit of money. But also, that leaving Europe, to finish back in Europe, seemed no sense for him then that he had achieved such harmony with his boat and the ocean. The Long Way is the name of this book.
I won't compare by any means what those guys achieved in 1968 or what the guys in the Vendee Globe go through, to what I've been doing for the last month. But they all are a great inspiration for me. People who passionately live their dreams in search for stretching their personal limits, and with it, broadening humans limits as well. I think is pioneers like them, who have pushed human development as far as it is today. Dreams, curiosity and passion working together.
Having passed the Alps, and back in Italy, I could have been writing this back in Genoa. I had a couple of days worth of riding left to complete the initial plan of the trip. But thinking about it, I would like as well that this month, this trip I will be finishing tomorrow by midday if it all goes according to plan, has taken me to a different place. The same Fonzie, but I would like to think, that this has changed things, at least a little bit. That for example I'll think of my time off differently. That next year, when I set off for the next adventure, I'll be a little wiser and stronger, that this ride have been all learning. Or even that any of this that I've been wiriting, telling and showing you for the last few weeks, have inspired at least a little bit some of you, or make you think twice, or given you another point of view on different things. Perhaps.
So I kept riding. Another 400 km. Instead of south, I turned east as well, asking locals and other cyclist how to get to the next town. Yes, let's go to Venice, let's check it out, let's go and have lunch with la Nana and hopefully a couple of wines. Rendez vous for lunch at midday. GREAAATT!!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Alfonso Grazie dell'onore di averci permesso di Pedalare con te this Mattina ONU sei grande Paolo

    ReplyDelete